Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spiders! Part 1

I am going to start this post by admitting something, I LOVE HALLOWEEN! If you live by me you might have witnessed some of my craziness :). So this project was inspired by Stacey over at House of Chic and Penoche. So like I said I love Halloween, but there just isn't budget to cover the obsession I have. So I try to get creative with things I already have. I go to a CTMH Scrapbook club every month (click on the link to check it out). So I had this awesome stamp I used. The fabric was leftover from another project.

1. I inked my stamp with black ink.

2. Stamped it right onto the white fabric.

3. I put it in a hoop. You can do this without the hoop but I have found it goes much faster and is way easier with one. You can pick up a hoop for inexpensive at a craft store. I inherited a few from Lance's GG when she died. Place the image you are doing centered over the inner hoop. Put the outer ring over top of the inner ring pulling the fabric so that it is taunt. Use the screw on the top to tighten.

4. Thread your needle. Embroidery floss comes in hanks and is usually about 6 strands thick. That to me is really thick, so for the thicker areas of this project I used 4 strands and the finer areas I used 2 strands.

5. Get to stitching. I have been racking my brain as I have embroidered this, on how to describe what it is I am doing. I am at a loss, but here goes... You are basically sewing along the lines. Start moving from the bottom up. Move the needle about 3-4mm and go back down on the pattern line you are working on. You will come back up from the bottom about 3-4 mm away and connect the stitches together. Clear as mud? Hopefully you can get the idea from the pictures.

I think this is going to be turned into a pillow which will be part 2 when I get it finished. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cute Cari.

Brandie said...

That turned out so cute what a great idea and thanks for the link! Always appreciate that