Monday, September 27, 2010

Simple Sassy Skirts

So I had mentioned that I wanted to get to the fabric store today, alas it did not happen :(. But lucky for me I usually have some material on hand from leftover projects. So I really wanted to make skirts for the princesses in cute Halloween fabric, those will just have to wait because the grouchy monster needed a nap. So there are 2 things that I remembered making this skirt. 1- pressing, I usually don't use the iron when I sew. I think it is mostly laziness (ok it is complete laziness) but because I was making this post I thought I better do and make you all think I am more wonderful than I really am. It really did make a difference on how easy this was to sew though. 2- use pins. I am never really good at taking the time to pin things like I should but, today I did and I didnt have to unstitch any thing!! That is totally rare for me :). So with that being said here are some instructions for a simple skirt. I have in the past done minor things to change the skirt slightly, like box pleats, pleats. I also love the look of a broomstick skirt because it doesnt need ironing.

1- pick 2 coordinating materials.

2- I cut my main piece into a 16x38 inch rectangle. (this skirt ended up being a little long)
3- I cut the trim into a 6x38 inch rectangle.

4- fold trim in half and press.

5- Stitch folded piece of trim to bottom of your main piece. Right sides together.

6- press seam.

7- Fold top of main piece down about 1/2 inch and press. You will then fold that over about an 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch and pin. This is going to create the casing for the elastic waist. Stitch that piece down.

8- measure the waist of your child with elastic, make sure the elastic is snug and then overlap it about 1/2 inch. I used a 7/8 inch elastic.

9- Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic and feed through the waist casing. (the safety pin just makes it easier to move through.

10- overlap elastic about 1/2 inch and stitch together.
11- last step is to stitch up the back.



And Wha-La you have a cute skirt for you little lady. I usually spend about 4-6 dollars total and can make 2-3 skirts.

2 comments:

Emily said...

oh how I wish I could sew. I'm just a disaster waiting to happen when I attempt it. Very cute though!!

Stacey said...

Cute! I need to make a skirt so thanks for the inspiration!