Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Canning Tomatoes

So last year my sister and I canned tomatoes together, she just had a baby so I decided to go it on my own this year. I completely forgot the lemon juice but I think they will be okay. So here are the steps to canning tomatoes. I took pictures along the way, let me once again say I am not a good photographer. Someday I aspire to be one, but am content to just the things I am right now.

1. buy tomatoes, may I once again recommend Schmidt's Produce Stand on the corner of 9000 S and 1300 West. You will also need jars, lids and rings.


2. Wash your jars, lids and rings.

3. Before I do anything with the tomatoes I get the other stuff in the jars.

Pint Quart
Water 1/3 cup 1/2-2/3 cup
Salt 1/4 tsp 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice 1 tsp 2 tsp
4. Wash your tomatoes

5. Put a pot of water on to boil. To peal your tomatoes, dip them in scalding water for about 30 seconds. Then put them in a cold water. The skins should just pull off. (This is totally my favorite part!!!)

6. After you have peeled the tomatoes, you can slice, or dice them any way you choose. Fill the jars almost to the top.

7. To get a proper seal on your bottles, place your new lids in boiling water for a few minutes. Once your jars are filled put the lids on them and screw the rings on tight. They are now ready for sealing.

8. I don't have a can sealer so I just use a large 12 quart pot. I can get 7 pints in at a time or 6 quarts. Make sure the water covers the top of the jars. Process (boil) them for 12-15 minutes. They will rattle in there. And sometimes you will hear little popping noises. That is a good thing. Once they are finished processing use tongs to get them out, they will be super hot!! I place them on the counter on a dish towel. You should let them sit without moving them for 24 hours. They can take up to 24 hours to seal so you will randomly hear little popping noises. And you will be giddy! Well at least I get that way every time I hear that noise. It means I did it right!
This was a little mishap I had, Some how the jar got flipped upside down and the base of the jar broke of like a lid. This is how I pulled it out of the pot.
Happy Homemaking!!

No comments: