Thursday, October 21, 2010

MMMM Cornbread

So I have never really been a fan of cornbread until.... I found this recipe my friend Jane (Yes I am friends with this amazing woman) recommended it from Mel's Kitchen Cafe. While normally I wouldn't dream of messing with this recipe I did. I am on a medically restricted diet and have been for quite some time. The good news is that my infection is almost gone, the better news is I have learned a lot about eating healthier. So I decided to change this a little to fit the requirements of my diet. I will say that it still has way more sugar than I am supposed to have, but sometimes it is worth the cheat! So either way this cornbread with the honey butter is KILLER!!

½ cup cornmeal
1 ½ cup whole grain flour (I use a mixture of white wheat, brown rice, kamut, and Oat)
1/2cup sugar I lessened it from 2/3 cup
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cup milk

Add dry ingredients, make a well and add oil, butter, eggs, and milk into the center. Stir until just mixed (batter will be runny – don’t be alarmed!). Bake in an 8” square pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. This doubles perfectly for a 9X13-inch pan.

Honey Butter:
2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff

Whip all together with an electric mixer and serve at room temperature (can be refrigerated and softened).

I seldomly if ever buy marshmallow fluff, so I just omit that.

This goes great with any fall/winter soup of stew you can think of! I hope you try it and enjoy!

1 comment:

Amber said...

I must say, I love the honey butter. I too got this from Jane a while ago and MMmmmm! Sucks, can't get marshmellow fluff here. Might just have to make my own just to make the honey butter again.