Monday, November 15, 2010

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

(this is not my picture)
I used to get the Kraft Food and Family Magazine, and in it one time was a recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup. It was done as a 1-2 servings in the microwave. I thought who makes potato soup in the microwave? So I adapted the recipe. I made it for dinner last night and my very picky 6 year old said "Mom I love this we need to have this more often!" So here is the recipe :)
3-5 medium potatoes cooked ( I just end up boiling them)
2 cups chicken broth or bullion
1-2 cups milk
1/2 diced medium onion
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste.
1 lb bacon
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheese divided
3 tbsp corn starch

Cook Bacon until crispy enough to crumble. I really like to lay it on a baking sheet and bake it at 425 for 12 minutes. Then I dont have to babysit it and there is less getting popped with hot grease.

Peel and boil potatoes (or you could used left over baked potatoes). Drain potatoes and mashed them up some, you dont want them totally mashed but smaller chunks. Pour chicken broth and milk into pot with potatoes and add onion. Season with salt, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil and mix cornstarch in about 1/3 cup cold water, mix into soup to thicken. When thickened add 1 cup of cheese and about 1/3-1/2 of your bacon. I dont like to put a whole lot in because I like to sprinkle it on top so it doesnt get soggy. Remove from heat and add sour cream. Stir in and serve topped with bacon, sour cream, cheese and chopped green onions if you have them.

No comments: