Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Aebelskivers (Danish ball Pancakes)

Day 3 of pancake week brought us Aebelskivers (Danish Ball Pancakes).  So once again I have a lot of Danish blood in me too.  From both sides of the family.  As a matter of fact my family tells me that my stubborn side is my Danish side :).  I bought my pan in a Mercantile in the area my Danish relatives from my mom's side settled.  Aebleskiver pans are usually made of cast iron and very heavy.  I have a friend who is Danish and when her husband would have to go out of town he would tell her to sleep with the pan in case someone broke in. These bad boys were being consumed faster than I could cook them, so there was no staging for photos.  If you live near me and would like to try these little delights but don't have the pan, let me know and I would be happy to let you borrow mine.




So do you have a pancake recipe from somewhere on the globe you want to share with me?  I am thinking about German Pancakes tomorrow or crepes, but we have those all the time and I am game to try something new :)

 I have tried multiple recipes for these and this is the one I tried this morning.

This recipe comes from Williams-Sonoma.com
FYI You will need some special equipment for this recipe: namely, an ebelskiver pan and some of those long tooth picks or knitting needles to flip the balls over while baking.

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 TBSP granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
4 TBSP (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 pint fresh blueberries
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Maple syrup for serving

Directions:



In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar and salt.
In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the egg yolks and buttermilk. Whisk the yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the batter will be lumpy.
In another bowl, using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter in two additions.
Put 1/2 tsp. butter in each well of a filled-pancake pan. Place over medium heat and heat until the butter begins to bubble. Pour 1 Tbs. batter into each well and cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Put 5 or 6 blueberries in the center of each pancake and top with 1 Tbs. batter. Using 2 wooden skewers, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter and blueberries.
Dust the pancakes with confectioners’ sugar and serve warm with maple syrup. Makes about 40.

No comments: