Friday, September 17, 2010

Fond What?

Fondant.... As some of you might know my mother is a fabulous cake decorator. In my opinion she could compete if she wanted to or had the time. But she keeps herself super busy just getting her orders done. So when I need a cake I usually get told no. So out that denial I have become a adequate decorator. So when my friend Caroline asked me to do her daughters 1st birthday cake I was surprised and decided to keep it really simple. I digress.... Fondant. Fondant is that pretty rolled out icing that goes on cakes that looks gorgeous. It is super popular but doesn't taste that great (well in my opinion at least). My moms fondant recipe is much more complicated than the one that I use. So here is a simple fondant recipe that has worked for me every time.

About 16 large marshmallows
2 tbsp Milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
Flavoring if desired
1 lb of powdered sugar

In a large mixing bowl put your powdered sugar in it making a well in the center. In a medium sauce pan melt butter, marshmallows, milk and vanilla. Stirring frequently or marshmallows will burn. When all your lumps are gone, pour mixture into your powdered sugar. Stir with a spoon to get most of it mixed. After you have done as much with the spoon as you can, get in there with your hands and knead it like you would dough. You might have to gradually add a little more powder sugar, I should be about the consistancy of play dough and not sticking to your hands.

And you have fondant. You can use it to sculpt or roll it out and drape it over a cake. Depending on how the cake turns out I might post pictures :)

No comments: